Sunday, April 12, 2015

Sympathy

I look at things differently now thanks to having cancer. Especially the trials and tribulations of others.

I was watching the second round of the Masters golf tournament and Rory McIlroy was having a particularly tough day. Heck, the way he was playing he might not even make the cut for the weekend. Balls off the course in the rough and in the woods and his approaches weren’t very good. He was visibly disappointed.

I thought to myself, “So what. Add cancer to the mix and be glad you are where you are. Get that chin up and play ball. Quit pouting.”

Not really a very nice thing to be thinking and a gross lack of sympathy. Saying that having cancer is tougher than his current situation might be a little off base, but his whole down in the mouth attitude kind of pissed me off.

But in defense of Rory, he had every right to be disappointed. He’s one of the best professional golfers in the world and he’s worked very hard to get to this point in his life. Shit, he’s playing the Masters!

But I still don’t have much sympathy for him.

No comments: