Monday, April 6, 2015

Carrying The Flame For Dean-o

Originally published 2007

My good friend Dean Hicks passed away in May. He was the owner of Reel’s Inc., a custom rod and tackle shop located in San Carlos Park. He was also the distinctive voice of Reel Talk Radio, a call-in fishing show that continues under my direction each Saturday morning from 7 to 10 on 99.3FM.

While we all amass a great number of acquaintances in our lives, we usually only have a few folks we call close friends. It’s tough losing one.

Dean-o and I met about 5 years ago during the initial manatee zone battles. He was invited as part of the press to go on a boat ride to look at the proposed new zones near the mouth of the Caloosahatchee River. I was the captain that day and Dean-o, in his usual way, introduced himself shortly after arriving on board.  I’ll never forget it. It was like we had known each other for a lifetime. He had a knack for making you feel as if you were the most important person in his presence, even on a boat full of press and politicians. He sounded and looked like a pirate but it became obvious to me that there was much more going on than met the eye. We talked about the manatee situation, about fishing and about the business of fishing. He told me about his radio show and his shop and encouraged me to stop in and see him. I’m glad I did. What began as a business relationship soon developed into a friendship.

We had a lot in common. Both of us were military veterans, we loved the water and conservation of the resources, and we were both doing our best to raise daughters that are almost the same age. We had a lot of great talks and debates. I’m going to miss those the most. But most importantly Dean-o got me involved in the community. Oh, I had donated a fishing trip or two for good causes and I had sent my dues to the Coastal Conservation Association, but I soon learned that that was the tip of the iceberg in Dean-o’s world. It was an eye opening experience and one that I have continuee to carry on in his absence.

I implore you, the reader, to also do your part. If you love southwest Florida and you love to fish or recreate in this great playground of ours, then you need to pay attention to what’s going on around you. There are very important issues on the table right now concerning boating access to Everglades National Park and we are still fighting the battle of water releases from Lake Okeechobee. There is much to be done and it’s not going to get done by itself.
   
Dean-o is going to be greatly missed, not only by his family and friends but by the entire community. His tireless efforts to make this a better place to live and fish will be carried on by those of us that knew him, and I for one, will make sure that the flame never goes out. 

Dean-o, Peace my friend and catch big fish.

No comments: