Saturday, April 18, 2015

I'm Lucky

Learned something this week. Chemo is mostly a big surprise. I’ve been on it for several weeks, off and on, and I was pleased that I have been able to handle it through aches and pains. The Friday morning blast of steroids has been a pain saver and moved me tthrough the early week without a lot of trouble. And then that changed.

All of a sudden the double whammy of the chemo pill and shot really knocked me down. My white blood count fell through the floor and I ran my fist big fever since leaving the hospital. Terrible night sweats and very little sleep. Off to the doctor in the morning to see if it was an infection or chemo. Fortunately it was chemo related and a new shot called Neupogen was prescribed to help raise my white blood cell count. It worked and I was feeling better by Thursday. One little problem. It also makes your bones ache. Oh goody.

Chemo is all about attitude. Keep it positive and and stop worrying about tomorrow. Just hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I’m happy that I’m two weeks on and one week off. That one week off gives me something to focus on during the bad times. I also receive half of my chemo (the shots) in a room full of people also getting cancer treatments. Mine is relatively easy compared to some of the patients who have to spend all day, sometimes 2 to 3 times a week, under the gun.

I’m lucky.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad I checked in to see if you had updated ... your attitude is amazing, and remember you are loved whether you are feeling positive or negative. I love you.