Friday, April 10, 2015

It Was THIS Big

I love to fish. While catching big fish is fun, it’s not important to me. I no longer need to prove myself by bringing the biggest fish back to the dock. Some anglers do and that seems more like the person that has to have the biggest car or truck with the biggest engine. Perhaps he’s trying to make up for a shortage elsewhere.

If the body of water I’m working is giving up small fish, so be it. I’m good with that and I’ll downsize my tackle to match the catch. It’s the act of fishing and not knowing what’s on the end of the line that makes fishing fun for me. It’s the mystery of it all and the mystery of being surrounded by the great outdoors.

I also don’t need to report a catch of “40 redfish.” I just love the fisherman that starts the bragging by giving his last outing a number. “We caught 62 redfish yesterday and we were only out for three hours.” I’d like to point out that mathematically that’s one redfish every three minutes if you spread the catch out over the three hours. That would be really tough even on the very best day. Heck, that would be tough on any day. A solid redfish bite in this neck of the woods would be about 15 over the three hours.

Honest.

No comments: