Monday, June 15, 2015

I Miss My Dad

I really miss my Dad. He passed away from a sudden heart attack back in the summer of 2000 and there are so many things I’d love to talk to him about. There was also a wealth of information that he held in that amazingly analytical head of his that I’d love to pry through, but it’s just not to be.

My Dad could do the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle in his head and then write all the answers in with an ink pen. It was something to behold. It’s too bad he was never on Jeopardy. He would have cleaned up.

He also gave away a ton of information and tips about fishing to me over the years. The funny thing was, he didn’t spend a lot of time fishing. He did, however, spend a lot of time reading. He was one of the most well read people I’ve ever known, so he seemed to have an answer for just about everything. He would send me tips about rigging and I think he was fascinated by the different species we had and how each had their own way of feeding and breeding.

We had a discussion one Sunday afternoon about moon phases. I've used parts of that talk to this day during seminars on tides, winds and currents. He was very insightful and pointed out things about the correlation between the moon and fish.

I didn’t start my career as a fishing pro until the year after he died. I often wonder what he would have thought about all this. He was one of those people that believed in the steady job. You know; the long term position with the big “firm” and then the career leading to a successful retirement. That is certainly not where I was headed when I decided to get my captains license and then make a living on the water. But years later I proved to myself and others that I could be a success. It made me happy. I never thought I’d find a job that I’d never view as a job.

I think my Dad would have been pleased to see how it turned out. I miss him now more than ever.

No comments: